- Labs in the department
The laboratories are managed by well qualified and experienced staff. The laboratories serve as a bridge in interlinking their theoretical and practical capabilities. The experiments are organized in a logical order and are closely monitored and guided. Well- designed set of experiments after the respective theory sessions helps the students to delve into the depths of theory. The guidance and moral support provided by the experienced faculty and staff helps the students in gaining a good exposure and understanding of the subjects. All the laboratories are equipped with necessary equipment to impart adequate practical experience to students helping them to supplement technical knowledge. This helps the students to complete their projects in various emerging fields confidently.
Sl No Name of Lab Lab in Charge 1 Electrical Workshop Mr.Suresh.T 2 Digital Electronics and Embedded Circuits Laboratory Prof.Praveen Kumar.C 3 Electrical Measurements Laboratory Prof.Jeema.K.Cheriyan 4 Electrical Machines Laboratory Prof.Pradip.C 5 Power Electronics Laboratory Dr.Vasanthi.V 6 Computer Laboratory Prof.Saju.N 7 Research/PG lab Dr.Sheela.S 8 Project Laboratory Prof.Sujith.S 9 High Voltage Engineering Laboratory Prof.Vidya.M.P
- List of laboratories with technical manpower- Kerala Technological University
Sl. No Name of Laboratory Weekly utilization status(all the courses for which the lab is utilized 1 Electrical Workshop EE 110 Electrical Engineering workshop 2 Electronics Laboratory EE231 Electronic Circuits Lab
EE 335 Electrical and Electronics Lab
3 Digital Electronics and Embedded Circuits Laboratory EE 331 Digital Circuits and Embedded Systems Laboratory 4 Electrical Measurements Laboratory EE 234 Circuits and Measurements Laboratory
IC 234 Electrical and Electronics Measurements Laboratory
5 Electrical Machines Laboratory EE232 Electrical Machines Laboratory-I
EE333 Electrical Machines Laboratory II
EE 335 Electrical and Electronics Lab
6 Power Electronics Laboratory EE334 Power Electronics and Drives Laboratory 7 Computer Laboratory EE 233 Programming Lab
EE 332 Systems and Control Laboratory
EE 431 Power System Laboratory
8 Research/PG Research work 9 Project Laboratory EE 341 Design Project
EE 492 Main Project
10 High Voltage Engineering Laboratory Demonstration purpose/ testing/
EE 431 Power System Laboratory
- List of experiments in Basic Electrical Engineering Lab
1 Study of PMMC/MI voltmeter/ammeter, dynamometer type wattmeter, clip on ammeter, analog/digital multimeters and static energy meters 2 Determination of V-I characteristics of a) wire wound rheostat and b) incandescent lamps in series & parallel 3 Measurement of linear resistance using voltmeter-ammeter method 4 Verification of Kirchoff’s laws in DC circuit 5 Verification of Superposition theorem in DC circuit 6 Verification of Thevenin’s theorem in DC circuit 7 Verification of Reciprocity theorem in DC circuit 8 Determination of impedance, admittance, power factor and real/reactive/apparent power drawn in RLC series/parallel circuits 9 Single phase power measurement using a) dynamometer type wattmeter b) 3 ammeters method and c) 3 voltmeters method in an RL load 10 3-phase power measurement using one wattmeter and two wattmeters 11 Power factor improvement in an RL circuit
- List of experiments in Analog Electronics Lab
1 Study & Use of CRO: a) Measurement of current voltage, frequency and phase shift 2 Rectifiers and filters with and without shunt capacitors- Characteristics full wave rectifier- Ripple factor, Rectification efficiency, and % regulation 3 Second order LP and BP/notch filters using single OPAMP 4 RC coupled amplifier using BJT in CE configuration- Measurement of gain, input and output impedance and frequency response 5 FET amplifier- Measurement of voltage gain, current gain, input and output impedance 6 Characteristics of clipping and clamping circuits using diodes. Characteristics of voltage regulators- Design and testing of:zener regulator with emitter follower output 7 Characteristics of voltage regulators- Design and testing of:a) simple zener voltage regulator b) zener regulator with emitter follower output 8 OPAMP circuits - Design and set up of inverter, scale changer, adder, non-inverting amplifier, integrator , differentiator ,comparator 9 Phase shift and Wein’s Bridge oscillator with amplitude stabilization using OPAMPs. 10 Waveform generation - Square, triangular and sawtooth wave form generation using OPAMPs. 11 IC 555 Applications 12 PLL IC 565/566 Frequency multiplying, FSK demodulation 13 Introduction to circuit simulation-simulation of OPAMP and other analog IC circuits
- List of Experiments in Electrical Measurements & Instrumentation Lab
MEASUREMENTS LAB 1
- a) Calibration of single phase energy meter by direct loading
b) Calibration of single phase static energy meter
- Calibration of single phase energy meter by phantom loading with and without phase shifting transformer
- Calibration of 3 phase energy meter a) phantom loading b) using phase shifting transformer
4 Measurement of self and mutual inductance a) air cored coil b) iron cored coil 5
- a) Determination of B- H curve
b) Determination of hysteresis loop using six point method .
6 Calibration of ammeter, voltmeter and wattmeter using vernier potentiometer INSTRUMENTATION LAB 1
- Measurement of resistance using Wheastone’s Bridge and Kelvin Double bridge
- Extension of range of wattmeter using CT & PT
- Measurement of displacement using LVDT
4 Measurement of current/ voltage using Hall effect transducer 5
- Thermocouple based ON - OFF controller
6 Measurement of physical quantities - strain, torque and angle 7 Measurement of physical quantities - strain, torque and angle
- List of Experiments in Electrical Machines Lab I
No Name of the experiment 1 Open circuit characteristics of dc shunt generator 2 Load characteristics of dc shunt generator 3 Hopkinson`s test 4 Retardation test 5 Load test on dc shunt motor 6 Swinburne`s test 7 Separation of losses of dc shunt machine 8 Oc and sc tests on single phase transformer to obtain equivalent circuit parameters 9 Oc andsc tests on single phase transformer for Predetermining regulation and all day efficiency 10 Sumpner`s test 11 Load test on sinle phase transformer 12 SEPARATION OF LOSSES IN A SINGLE PHASE TRANSFORMER
- List of Experiments in Electrical Machines Lab II
No Name of the experiment 1 No-load and blocked rotor tests on 3-phase slip-ring induction motor 2 Regulation of non-salient pole alternator by potier & a.s.a methods 3 Regulation of non-salient pole alternator by emf and mmf methods 4 Induction machine as motor and generator 5 Load test on three phase cage induction motor 6 No-load and blocked rotor tests on single-phase induction motor. 7 Slip test on salient pole alternator 8 No-load and blocked rotor tests on 3-phase squirrel cage induction motor 9 Active and reactive power control of three phase alternator connected to grid 10 Load test on three phase slip ring induction motor 11 V-curve of a synchronous motor.
- List of Experiments in Electronic Circuits Lab
No Name of the experiment 1 Measurements with CRO 2 Clipping Circuits 3 Clamping Circuits 4 Rectifiers and Filters 5 RC Coupled CE Amplifier 6 Emitter Follower Regulator 7 Precision Rectifiers 8 Wien Bridge Oscillator 9 Phase Shift Oscillators 10 Waveform Generator 11 V-curve of a synchronous motor. 12 Multivibrators using 555 timer
- List of Experiments in Power Electronics Lab
No Name of the experiment 1 Static characteristics of SCR 2 R and RC firing circuit 3 UJT Trigger circuit with Single phase controlled Rectifier 4 AC Voltage Controller using TRIAC 5 Single Phase fully Controlled SCR Bridge circuit 6 Single-phase half bridge/full bridge inverter using power MOSFET/IGBT 7 Single-phase sine PWM inverter with LC filter 8 Chopper controlled DC motor 9 Simulation of 1-phase fully-controlled and half-controlled rectifier fed separately excited DC motor 10 Simulation of open loop or closed loop speed control of 3-phase induction motor using V/f controland using sine PWM 11 Design and simulation of buck, boost and buck-boost converter 12 Simulation of Dual Converter – 4 quadrant operation – separately excited DC motor
- List of Experiments in Digital Electronics Lab
1 Design of Half adder and half subtractor circuits with NAND gates using mode control 2 Design and realization of ripple counter using JK flip-flop 3 Design and realization of Johnson & Ring Counter using a) JK Flip Flop b) Shift Register 4 Synchronous UP/DOWN Counter design and realization 5 Implementation of multiplexer and demultiplexer using gates 6 Logic circuit implementation using multiplexer IC. 7 VHDL implementation of adder circuit and three bit counter. 8 VHDL simulation of adder circuit and counter. 9 8085 simple programming addition, data transfer, multiplication. 10 3-phase power measurement using one wattmeter and two 8085 interfacing –waveform generation-square wave generation, saw-tooth wave and triangular wave.
- List of Experiments in ELECTRICAL WORKSHOP
1 Study of tools 2 Study of lighting accessories and study of wiring insulations 3 One lamp controlled by one switch 4 Staircase wiring circuit 5 Plug wiring circuit 6 Godown wiring circuit 7 Fluorescent tube circuit 8 Power and light circuit 9 Power circuit 10 Measurement of power, voltage and current
- List of Experiments in PROGRAMMING LAB
1 Perimeter of a rectangle 2 Converting Celsius to Fahrenheit 3 Finding sum 4 Cosine value of angle in degrees 5 Sum of digits of 4 digit number 6 Finding value of K 7 Finding value of x 8 Finding value of y 9 Reverse the given 4 digit number 10 Check whether a number is palindrome 11 Largest among three numbers 12 Prime number or not 13 Solution of a quadratic equation 14 N terms in cosine series 15 N terms in sine series 16 Multiplication table 17 Average of 2 numbers 18 Power of 2 19 Factorial of a number 20 Add numbers until zero is enforced 21 HCF of 2 nos 22 Leap year or not 23 Largest of 3 numbers using functions 24 Factorial of number using functions 25 Fibonacci series 26 27 Maximum of 3 number using functions 28 Program to find Pascal triangle 29 Reverse a number using function 30 Average of 5 nos using continuous statement 31 Find largest and smallest in an array 32 Program to compute Fibonacci series using an array 33 Program to insert and delete an element from an array 34 Program to sort an array 35 Program to find nth number f Fibonacci series using recursion 36 Write a c program to find the transpose of a matrix 37 Write a c program to add two matrices 38 Write a c program to find trace of a given matrix 39 Write a c program to append one string to the end of one string 40 Write a program to illustrate break statement 41 Write a c program to compare two strings 42 Write a program to extract input values from a 2 dimensional array of string 43 Write a program to swap the strings and print length of string 44 Write program to accept name of month and print it 45 Write program to input and extract values from a 2 dimensional array of strings
- Circuits And Measurements Lab
1 Verification of Thevenin’s Theorem 2 RLC Series and Parallel Circuits 3 Measurement using Two Wattmeters 4 Three-Phase Power Extension of Wattmeter using Current Transformer 5 Measurement of Single Phase Energy using Static Energymeter 6 Verification of Superposition Theorem 7 Measurement of Voltage using Vernier Potentiometer 8 Determination of Coefficient of Coupling of Given 230/40V Singlephase Transformer 9 Calibration of Three-Phase Energymeter by Phantom loading 10 Measurements of Displacement using LVDT 11 Calibration of Singlephase Energymeter at 0.5 PF lead and lag by Phantom loading 12 A) Measurement of Voltmeter and Ammeter resistance using Wheatstone bridge and Kelvin double bridge
B) Extension of range of Voltmeter
C) Study of Extension of range of Ammeter
- List of Experiments in High Voltage Lab
1 Determination of flash over voltage of insulators 2 Insulation testing of LT and HT cable 3 Determination of dielectric strength of transformer oil 4 Determination of earth resistance using megger 5 High voltage testing of cables
- List of Experiments in Power Systems Simulation Studies
1 Formulation of Y bus 2 Determination of critical clearance angle using by applying equal area criterion for a power system network 3 Calculation of rating of Solar power panel for a given area on rooftop for a given area 4 Load flow analysis of power system networks 5 Reactive power control of power system networks 6 Short circuit analysis to solve symmetrical and unsymmetrical faults
- List of Experiments in Digital Electronics and Embedded Circuits Laboratory
Sl.No Name of Experiment 8085 1 (a)Addition of two 8 bit and 16 bit numbers using 8085 Microprocessor
(b)Generation of square ,ramp and triangular Waveform using dac and 8085.
2 Block transfer of data from one memory location to another 8086 3 Exercises in 8086 cpu 8051 4 EXERCISES IN 8051 CPU IC TRAINER KIT 5 Realisation of sop and pos functions after k map reduction 6 Half adder and full adder realization using nand gates 7 Study of shift register ic 7495, ring counter and Johnsoncounter 8 Design of synchronous up/ down and modulo n counters 9 Study of multiplexer ic and realisation of Combinational circuits using multiplexers
- List of Experiments in Advanced Electrical Engineering Lab
1 Determination of transfer function of DC motor a) armature control b) field control 2 Design and experimental determination of frequency response of lead/lag networks 3 Experiments using PLC 4 Relay characteristics 5 Study of 8086 microprocessor and implementation of simple programs 6 Study of 8051 microcontroller and implementation of simple programs 7 Interfacing an ADC with microcontroller to read an analogue signal 8 Generate a square wave, saw tooth wave and triangular wave using 8051 microcontroller 9 Generate a sine wave using 8051 microcontroller 10 Familiarization with MATLAB-simple programs 11 Simulation using MATLAB, SIMULINK, RL tool etc. 12 Familiarization of P, PI, PD & PID controllers 13
- Power flow analysis of the system with the given single line diagram using the given power flow analysis package.
14 Transient stability analysis of the system with the given single line diagram using the given package. The disturbance is 3-phase to ground solid SC fault at t=0. The fault is cleared at time t=5 cycles by permanently removing the fault line 15 Experiments by interfacing transducers like strain gauge, LVDT etc with 8085/8086
The EEE Library has an excellent collection of text books, journals and engineering materials in science, technology, humanities, social sciences and management. It maintains separate collections of Reference Books, Bound volumes of journals, Technical Reports and Thesis. EEE department has an air conditioned library which is located in the main building with a plinth area of 800 sq.ft. The EEE Library functions as the Departmental Library. The department library has a good collection of about 4375 books. The EEE library has collection of main transactions and magazines in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The Library has a special collection of e-books of around 550 on engineering subjects.
The Library provides:
- Reference/Text books
- Previous years IEEE transactions.
- INTERNET browsing facility for Staff and Students.
- Previous University question papers for reference.
- Previous year’s seminar reports and project reports
To cater the needs of 530 EEE students, the EEE library is managed by two Faculty members. To enrich the collection of books in the library, staff members and students contribute books yearly to the department library.
- The library remains open from 8.00 AM to 5.00 PM. on all working days.
- Students are admitted in the Library and Reading Room on production of Identity Cards.
- Books taken out by staff / students shall not be retained for more than a fortnight (14) days from the date of issue.
- Failure to return a book on the due date makes the staff / student liable to a nominal fine towards the end of the semester.
- Borrowers are responsible for the loss or damage to books taken out on loan or for consultation by them. The marking of books in ink or with pencil, spoiling or injury to binding, underling of passages, writing of remarks, etc on the leaves of the books or on illustrations, tearing off pages, pictures, etc. will be held to be serious charges.
- Sub-Lending of books is not allowed.
- Students must clear their dues after each semester.
- All books taken by the Teaching, Non-Teaching and Students are to be returned in time for Annual Stock Verification.
- In all matters regarding the library the decision of the library in charge shall be final.
Text Book Section
- 1.1 - Humanities, Technical Communication, Numerical Analysis, Engineering Graphics, Engineering Mathematics, English, Economics, Management, Organizational Behavior, Operations Research, Industrial Management, Entrepreneurship, Engineering Chemistry, Engineering Physics, Thermodynamics, Environmental Science.
- 1.2 – DC Machines, AC Machines, Machine Drawing, Generalized Machine Theory, Electrical Machine Design
- 1.3 – Electronic Circuits, Digital Electronics, Analog Electronics, Solid State Electronics, Linear Integrated Circuits, Digital System Design, Analog & Digital Communication
- 1.4 – Microprocessors, Microcontrollers, Soft Computing, Neural and Fuzzy Logic, Programming in C, VLSI, Turbo C, Computer Organization
- 1.5 – Power System Engineering, Power System Analysis, FACTS and Controllers, Switch Gear & Protection, Utilization of Electrical Energy, Renewable Energy, Power Plant Engineering.
- 1.6 – Electric Circuit Theory, Basic Electrical Engineering, Electrical system Design, Electromagnetic Field Theory, Circuits and Networks, Network Analysis
- 1.7 – Biomedical Engineering, Measurements, Instrumentation, Transducers and Measurements
- 1.8 – Control System, Signals and Systems, Digital signal Processing, Modern Control Theory
- 1.9 –Power Electronics, Electric Motor Drives, Electrical Drives and Automation
The reference section of the library has rich collection of International editions of reference books, hand books, conference proceedings, and various reference documents.
Back volumes of journals have been neatly binded and categorized under their respective subjects for reference
Engineering Text books and Conferences
- 1. Journal of Institution of Engineers – Electrical Engineering Division
- 2. Journal of Institution of Engineers – Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- 3. Technorama
- Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
- Transactions on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Systems
- Transactions on Education
- Transactions on Biomedical Engineering
- Transactions on Vehicular Technology
- Transactions on Circuits and systems
- Transactions on Automatic control
- Transactions on Communications
- Transactions on Power Delivery
- Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing
- Transactions on Engineering Management
- Transactions on Energy Conservation
- Transactions on Industrial Electronics
- Transactions on Microwave theory & Techniques
- Transactions on Power Electronics
- Transactions on Industry Applications
- Transactions on Information Theory
- Solid State Circuits
- Selected areas in Communication
- Quantum Electronics
- Antennas and Propagations
- Electrical Insulation
- Light wave telecommunication system
- Control Systems
- Drawing Hall
- Seminar Hall